Thursday, July 24, 2014

Alaska #24 Juneau

After I arrived in Juneau yesterday (see #23), I boarded a bus to go downtown. On the bus, I learned some of the history of Juneau and learned to talk like a native. I now refer to "the road," "the bridge," and "the canal." 
After watching cousins Jim and Pat eat crab legs for lunch, I got to wander into some of the shops on Main Street. I looked at diamonds, emeralds, etc., and found everything to be out of my price range. I had hoped to buy a nice ring for Tedi (Tedi and I met in Jasper--See post #3) but just couldn't afford a nice one.
Later in the afternoon, I re-boarded the bus and visited Mendenhall Glacier (See photo). I saw a nice movie and another presentation about how the glacier is receding. It has receded about 2.5 miles since the mid-1700s.
From the glacier, it was back to the Fjordland Express, our 85' catamaran, for the return trip to Haines.
I have a feeling Captian Glen is going to be watching me very carefully on this trip.
Warmest regards, Gus

No comments: