Monday, June 30, 2014

Alaska # 9

After visiting the Yukon Brewery in Whitehorse, I visited the S.S. Klondike. This 240 ft. long paddlewheel steamship traversed the Yukon River from 1937 until 1955 when construction of the Klondike  Highway north from the Alaska Highway made the ship uneconomical, since it could only operate about five months during the summer when the river wasn't frozen.
I also visisted the longest wooden fish ladder, where the salmon come after an 1800 mile swim from the Bering Sea.
A real treat was to watch about 68 teams in canoes and kayaks leave from Whitehorse to paddle down (north) the Yukon River--444 miles to Dawson City. When I got to Dawson City, I saw the winners arriving after about 56 hours. I was exhausted riding in the motor home; I hate to think of paddling a canoe or kayak for that many hours.
Warmest regards, Gus

No comments: