Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Historic Cedarburg, WI

Today I traveled to Cedarburg, WI, just northwest of Milwaukee. Here I visited a number of special places, but I was very impressed with the stonework on this old mill located on the Cedar River. There are many historic buildings in town constructed with Niagara limestone from two local quarries as well as cream city brick. The town was first settled in the 1840s by German and Irish immigrants. The railroad reached town in 1870. No matter where I go, I seem to get a history lesson about what was happening in other parts of the country at the same time as a local event. Of course the Civil War ended in 1865 and the country was trying to recover when the railroad came to Cedarburg.

I have been tasting a lot of great cheeses and sausages here in Wisconsin. Since I am not old enough, I have not tasted the wines but I have also found some excellent chocolate, some of which I found in Cedarburg today. Do I look a little heavier in the pictures?

Just north of Cedarburg I found this old covered bridge. It is reputed to be the only remaining covered bridge left in Wisconsin. It is not as old as some I have seen in Pennsylvania, but it is a nice bridge. There were no nails used to build the bridge when built in 1876, only hard wood pins hold it together.



It is now off to Madison so see the state capitol.

Hope all is well. Your friend, Gus.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: